Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Why Kathy

I've realised, for the longest time, I haven't post anything about my girls up here. Not too sure why, but I felt I have neglected them long enough.

So here I am, decided to post something about them. And so why not post their back story, I thought.

Not those storylines thing about the girl (which I would love to actually,but probably a little too tedious for someone uncreative like me), but my thoughts and how I came up with their name, why did I choose them etc. And I would definitely start with my first, Kathy.

So... Why Kathy? Why the name? Why the doll?

Well, to be honest, on the day I bought Kathy, my initial plan was not to buy a Blythe, but a Pullip. A Pullip of either Suigintou or Barasuishou (Both from the anime series Rozen Maiden).

I arrived at Dollz Inc. Looked for them, and only Barasuishou was available for sale. I looked for a while, and Mom started telling me, "She looks kinda weird,why not get something else? Why not get a Blythe?". Well, Sis had one, and she is gorgeous. So I told myself, "Why not?". So I returned the Pullip and looked for a Blythe.

First thing I asked was "Can I have the ones with long hair and blunt bangs?". I must admit, the blunt bangs fetish I had was going strong, even back then. So the boss of Dollz Inc brought 2 out. A Can Can Cat and a Bow Wow Trad.

To be honest, my interest was more into the Bow Wow Trad than Kathy,at that point of time. She resembles to me Yomi (from the anime Garei Zero) and Enma Ai (from the anime Jigoku Shoujo). But her price tag was the one that pushed me away. Having only $500 in my bank probably wasn't giving me much buying power or the ability to choose something I like back then. So I went with Kathy, and that was probably and still one of the best decision I made in my life.

Well,immediately after buying her, I swapped her clothes for the ones I bought for her,while paying for her. I was not too fond of her stock dress, and for some reason she just scream punk all over her (and of course, figuratively, mind you).

And you must be asking, why the name Kathy, right? This goes way back when I was a kid of about 11 or 12 years of age.

My father's family owns a seaside bar in East side, and there was this one time that I went with my family. It was a beautiful place, with beautiful ambience,everything. I would go back there now,if it was still around.

There was this girl in her late teens or early twenties working there as a waitress and occasionally, the bartender. She was beautiful,as I recall (I never went there after Mom and Dad divorced). She had a really adorable sweet face. And you can say I had a minor crush on her. I would find excuses to get close to her, like asking for a refill of cola or going to the bar side to look at her. (Yes, I am already oogling at girls even at that age)

Oh yes,and her name? Kathy.

When I got Kathy, for some reason the name Kathy came straight to my mind when I decided to give her a name.

'When you give something a name,for some reason, you will naturally love that something more' - the person who sold Picadilly to Sis.

Probably because she reminds me of Kathy,or probably due to the fact she is a Can Can Cat. Either ways,the name suits her alot, so I guess all is good.

And the origins of her personality? Well, she is probably the amalgamation of my impression of my own personality and my impression of how a cat girl would be. This explains all the rough, uncouth, unlady-like mannerism, and the overload of silly-ness as well as the nonchalant-ness of the things around her. And probably due to her namesake, she has little streaks of a wild party girl in her.

She is really precious to me, a personal treasure (along with Alison, who I will be write a similar post for). She is my birthday gift to myself as well as (and most importantly) a gift to myself bought with my very first pay.

And more of often than not, I would always entertain myself with the idea (in my head) that Kathy and Alison be my heirloom after I have passed on (well provided if I have kids or got married in the first place). They are that important to me. And that they are my 'Mona Lisa's smile', the little things that cheers me up, especially after a long day of work.

I guess everyone have their poison and personal treasure, and mine comes in the form of these two little girls.

No comments: